Being a mom is hard work. And it makes it doubly hard when we forget to focus on the good things throughout the day. I am challenging myself (and anyone else who is interested) to find at least one "mommy win" in every single day.

Small or big, a win is a win.

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Mommy Win - Day 18

I have a hard time not getting stressed about my child's sleeping and eating. It's always been this way. We had family dinner plans following church yesterday. It was going to be quite convenient because little dude's nap is at 2:00, which is when we are done with our church meetings. Theoretically he was going to fall asleep on the way home from church, we would stop to pick up my dad (who had stayed home due to a little illness) and then we would drive out to the family dinner, about an hour away. He'd get a decent nap in and we would all be happy and life would be perfect.

Ha.

Of course he didn't fall asleep on the way home from church. In his defense, we were talking kind of loudly. Not a big deal. I figured he'd go to sleep within a few minutes of our drive to dinner. No.

Now, for most people it would not be a huge deal that their child hadn't taken a nap. And generally it doesn't bother me too much anymore. However, for whatever reason, this was the end of the world for me. I blame it on pregnancy hormones. I was so ridiculously upset that he wasn't napping. It took everything I had not to break down sobbing. Seriously. (Again, totally blaming the hormones on this one). Anyway, I knew that if I was going to have any chance at enjoying this time with my family, and being enjoyable to be around, I had to get control of myself. Not to mention I knew that if I went into the situation assuming that he was going to be terrible because of lack of sleep, he would be. Self-fulfilling prophecy and all that.

This is all to say that I finally got control of these wacky emotions, we arrived at my aunt and uncle's house, and honestly... everything went quite well. We had the slightest bit of trouble when it was time to leave (well after 6:00 - four hours past naptime) but really, it was not terrible. And, of course, he fell asleep within a few minutes of being on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment